1. Leonard DiCaprio was almost in 'Hocus Pocus.'
He was offered the role of Max, but he turned it down to star in What's Eating Gilbert Grape? Which was probably a good career move (sorry, Omri Katz), but can you IMAGINE Leo in Hocus Pocus?! Magic.
2. Tom Cruise was almost 'Edward Scissorhands.'
He turned it down because he wanted a happier ending. (Lolz.)
3. The murderer's robe in 'Scream' was originally going to be white.
Filmmakers changed it at the last minute because they thought it looked too much like a KKK robe.
4. The mask in 'Halloween' is actually a mask of William Shatner.
It was a stretched out Captain Kirk mask.
5. To film that premonition scene in 'Final Destination 3', the actors had to ride the roller coaster *26* times.
6. The original title for 'The Texas Chainsaw Massacre' was 'Head Cheese.'
7. 'The Candyman' (AKA Tony Todd) had to put real bees into his mouth for the movie's pivotal moment.
He was stung 23 times. Noooooo....
8. Freddy Krueger was originally going to be a child molester.
They decided, smartly, that that might be *too* dark.
9. The skeletons in 'Poltergeist' are real human skeletons.
10. To make that creepy walk in 'The Ring', they filmed Samara walking backwards and then reversed the shot.
Bonus: 'E.T.' was originally conceived as a horror movie.
Follow Marie Claire on Instagram for the latest celeb news, pretty pics, funny stuff, and an insider POV.
Stay In The Know
Marie Claire email subscribers get intel on fashion and beauty trends, hot-off-the-press celebrity news, and more. Sign up here.
Samantha Leal is the Deputy Editor at Well+Good, where she spends most of her day thinking of new ideas across platforms, bringing on new writers, overseeing the day-to-day of the website, and working with the awesome team to produce the best stories and packages. Before W+G, she was the Senior Web Editor for Marie Claire and the Deputy Editor for Latina.com, with bylines all over the internet. Graduating from the Medill School of Journalism at Northwestern University with a minor in African history, she’s written everything from travel guides to political op-eds to wine explainers (currently enrolled in the WSET program) to celebrity profiles. Find her online pretty much everywhere @samanthajoleal.
My Plaque Psoriasis Journey: How I Achieved Clearer Skin and Found My Confidence
It’s more than skin deep.
By Emma Walsh
Olivia Rodrigo Turns 21 and Celebrates Her "Last Day of Being Able to Underage Drink (Hypothetically)"
A photo from Olivia Rodrigo's Instagram, showing her outfit for her 21st birthday party.
By Fleurine Tideman
'90s Icons You've Forgotten (But Shouldn't Have)
Your childhood is calling.
By Katherine J. Igoe
Heidi Klum Went as a Worm for Halloween, Because It Needed to Be Her Most "Magical" Costume Yet
It worked, man.
By Iris Goldsztajn
Simone Biles Asked Her Followers Not to Dress as Jeffrey Dahmer for Halloween
It had to be said.
By Iris Goldsztajn
The 78 Best Celebrity Couple Halloween Costumes of All Time
Honestly, we're impressed.
By Charlotte Chilton
22 Captivating Films About Royal Life
Once you've finished 'The Crown,' cue up one of these royally good films.
By Nicole Briese
Who Is Jonathan Owens, Simone Biles's Fiancé and NFL Player?
"The easiest yes!" Simone wrote about the couple's engagement.
By The Editors
The Best Celebrity 'Squid Game' Costumes
A handful of stars chose this year's most popular theme.
By Quinci LeGardye
Rebel Wilson Recreated an Iconic Britney Spears Look for Her New Movie
"Can you tell that I’m the biggest Britney fan!"
By Iris Goldsztajn
Taylor Swift's Lyrics Make for an *Amazing* Soap Opera, as Julianne Moore Demonstrates
The themes are right there!
By Chelsea Peng