Uruguay on a Peso
Kela's Corn Empanadas
Makes 24 empanadas
6 ears of corn, boiled
1 lb. green onions, chopped, white and green part
1/2 lb. queso blanco cheese, cut into small pieces
20 green olives, pitted and cut into small pieces
3 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
Premade empanada dough
1 egg, beaten
1. Preheat oven to 375°.
2. Schuck corn off the cob. Set aside.
3. Lightly sauté green onions and add to the corn.
4. Add cheese, olives, and boiled egg to the bowl and mix well.
5. Place a spoonful of the corn mixture into each empanada disk and crimp tightly with the back of a fork. Brush with the egg wash and place on a lightly greased cookie sheet.
6. Bake empandas until golden brown, 15-20 minutes.