1. Social media has a confusing impact on my sense of well-being.
2. My definition of a mental-health day is taking a shower.
3. I unwind with a crossword puzzle.
4. My happy place is New York.
5. On a good day, I deal with rejection by forgetting about it and being grateful; on a bad day, I deal with rejection by way of ice cream.
6. The not-so-great coping mechanism I had to abandon is kicking people in the shins when I was 8.
7. When I’m being pulled in many directions, I lose my shit on the inside.
8. I (try to) practice gratitude every day to help me feel grounded.
9. The workout I turn to to calm down is yoga.
10. When I can’t fall asleep, I drink a warm glass of Natural Vitality’s Calm supplement.
11. If I’m stressed before bed, I try to read; if I’m stressed when I wake up, I take it out on the first person I see. Is that bad?
12. When my partner/kid/family is driving me crazy, I try to extricate myself from the vicinity.
13. When motherhood happened, it really put things into perspective.
14. The one person I know I can always be myself with is my dad.
15. In my time of need, I turn to wine.
16. When negative self-talk is filling my head, I reset by reminding myself of lots of good things.
17. The best piece of advice I’ve been given is FOFO: Find Out before you Freak Out.
18. The song I put on for positive vibes is “Don’t You Worry ’Bout a Thing.”
19. I combat stress with 4-7-8 breathing.
20. The book I’ve learned the most from is “Bird by Bird,” by Anne Lamott.
21. My favorite way to recenter is meditation.
22. My mental-health mantra is “Be here now.”
This story appears in the Spring 2021 issue of Marie Claire.