A law-enforcement official told The Associated Press that Prince's official cause of death was an opioid overdose.
The news follows reports that authorities found prescription opioid medication on the singer and inside of his Minnesota home at the time of his death, according to CNN.
About a week before he died on April 21 at his Paisley Park Estate in Minnesota, Prince had a health scare that forced an early landing of his plane in Illinois and CNN reports that investigators believe that episode was also the result of a reaction to the pain medication. Officials said that he was treated for a potential overdose at that time.
And the day before he died, the 57-year-old had a house visit from a Minneapolis-area doctor who prescribed him medication, according to court documents obtained by the Los Angeles Times. The doctor was at Prince's home the day of his death to reportedly deliver test results.
The official who confirmed the cause of death to theAP wasn't named, "because he was not authorized to speak to the media," according to the outlet. Meanwhile, the Midwest Medical Examiner's Office reported they haven't released an official cause of death.
Follow Marie Claire on Facebook for the latest celeb news, beauty tips, fascinating reads, livestream video, and more.