Swimsuit season is stressful enough when women are tasked with finding swimwear that's both fashionable and flattering. But what does he think about all your hard work? Marie Claire asked 100 random guys about some of the most popular swimsuit trends — and their answers may have you reconsidering that new bikini in your beach bag.
One of the most popular swimwear styles on the market happens to be the one with the least amount of fabric. But what do men really think of the skimpy suit? 74 percent were fans of the triangles-and-string ensemble, while 26 percent thought it looked too revealing and left little to the imagination.
Guys' most favored suit was the basic two-piece bikini. A bit more material — while still showcasing some serious skin — meant a whopping 93 percent approval rating among men (and several said the look most closely resembled women in bras and panties...). Only 7 percent didn't like the cut.
Another option men and women can agree on is the strapless two-piece suit that harkens back to Roman times — when women's breasts were wrapped in garments during sporting events and at baths. Maybe it's the historical significance of the fashion statement that got 89 percent of men to approve and only 11 percent to not like it.
Women wanting to make a statement on the beach may opt for the monokini — a one-piece suit in which the sides are completely cut out, giving the appearance of a bikini, with the top and bottom sections connected by a thin strip of material. Guys, however, prefer to opt out. Only 22 percent liked the look. The most common response of the 78 percent who hated it? "I don't get it."
This Tarzan-esque suit, in either a one-piece or a two-piece, left men torn: Roughly 67 percent liked it, while 33 preferred to see something with either both straps or none at all. But, don't be too discouraged by the mixed review, ladies. A lot of men who didn't appreciate this suit said that it was because it would likely lead to problematic — and as one guy put it, "really weird" — tan lines.
Introduced in the late '90s, the tankini grew in popularity because of its combination of the modesty of a one-piece with the convenience and style of a two-piece. The look got mixed reviews from the guys surveyed. 53 percent liked the look, while 47 percent didn't. A few even compared the concept as being synonymous to men wearing T-shirts in the pool.
Few women sport one-pieces despite the traditional swimwear's resurgence on the runway — and despite the fact that the majority of men like them. In fact, 65 percent prefer the look, as opposed to only 35 percent who don't. The only rule? Some men said they like the style as long as it's still sexy and doesn't look like the woman is trying out for the Olympic swim team.
Vintage-inspired bathing suits have been quite the comeback in recent summers. One-piece bombshell suits and high-waisted two-pieces allow women to show off their curves while still remaining more than a bit demure. Of course, demure is not a look most men have come to expect poolside, so only 21 percent gravitate to this '50s-era style. The rest, 79 percent of guys, want to see more skin.
Like many new fashion trends, women inevitably find them far more interesting than their male counterparts. Funky suits — like those with studs, grommets and beaded detailing or others with unorthodox accessories — were the least favored swimwear of all the styles. Only 17 percent liked them, while 83 percent were mystified that the garments could even hold up in water.