The Oscars 2017 took place last night and, as well as the biggest names in film donning their best outfits for the red carpet, they endured—and caused—some of the evening's most awkward moments too.
Historic. After the cast and crew of La La Land had given acceptance speeches for the Best Picture Award, Beatty explained he'd been given the wrong envelope and that Moonlight had actually won the award.
2. When Michael Strahan called Matt Damon 'Ben'
During an interview with Matt Damon, Michael Strahan seemingly called the actor "Ben" by accident. Damon's face says it all.
3. When Scarlett Johannson slammed Ryan Seacrest on the red carpet
Speaking about how the actress was presenting an award during the ceremony, Seacrest referenced Johannson's stilettos and said, "Do you actually wear the shoes you are wearing tonight for the rehearsal?"
Johansson clapped back immediately at Seacrest and said, "What a ridiculous question."
4. When we all realized Nicole Kidman doesn't know how to clap
Seriously, she just doesn't know how to do it.
5. When Denzel Washington didn't hide his true feelings
Denzel Washington's Fences nomination lost out to Casey Affleck for Manchester by the Sea in the Best Actor category, and he made no attempt to hide his disdain when Casey thanked him in his winner's speech.
He said, "It means so much to me, thank you. Whew, damn it. One of the first people who taught me how to act was Denzel Washington, and I just met him tonight for the first time. Thank you."
6. When Jimmy Kimmel's Hollywood Stars prank went on for too long
Jimmy Kimmel invited a Hollywood Stars coach tour of people to the Oscars as a surprise skit, and this guy was just like, "Okay, I'm ready to get back on the coach now."
It was a little dull at points.
8. When Blanca Blanco accidentally flashed
The actress had an teeny-weeny wardrobe malfunction on the red carpet, when her thigh-high split flashed a little too much at the paps. Oops.
9. When Justin Timberlake made everyone dad-dance during "Can't Stop The Feeling"
And no one (side note: by no one, we mostly mean Sting) really knew what they were doing.
10. When Octavia Spencer wouldn't share her sweets
We would've done the same.
11. When Auli'i Cravalho was hit in the face with a flag mid-performance
The Moana star belted out Best Original Song contender "How Far I'll Go" and continued to sing like a trooper after being whacked on the head by a passing flag.
12. When Matt Damon's chair fell apart mid-ceremony
And everyone assumed Jimmy Fallon did it as part of their on-going celebrity feud.
13. When there was a special Oscars edition of Mean Tweets
So wrong, yet so right (Emma Stone's one is brilliantly awkward).
14. When Kris Jenner didn't know what the ACLU blue ribbon meant
The KUWTK star provided red-carpet fashion commentary for E! but was totally unaware of what the blue ribbon worn by several stars to support the American Civil Liberties Union meant.
15. When the Academy paid tribute to a woman in the "In Memoriam" section who is very much still alive
But mostly this.
And we're done.