Whether you're throwing an afternoon BBQ or planning an elaborate multi-course meal, providing your guests the right atmosphere can make or break your next dinner party. Expert event planner, Mindy Weiss, gave us her 10 must-know tips for any summer party.
- Even if you are expecting warm, wonderful weather, ALWAYS have a rain plan! And, if you plan for your party to go on into the night, you may also need heaters.
- Always greet your guests with the offering of a drink, preferably something crisp and cool. My current favorite is Birthday Cake Wines, they have great flavors!
- It's wonderful to provide a parasol, shade, or even a fan when having an outdoor summer party. At the end of the day you want your guests to remember how amazing the day was and not how they were hot.
- If you're planning a sit down dinner, set your table the evening before.
- Remember to place your flowers out last, so that the sun does not drain them of their natural beauty.
- Your music choice should not be over-powering: soft enough so your guests can hear their conversation and enjoying to all.
- You should open your door to welcome your guests looking like you didn't lift a finger all day. If you time things right then you should be able to offer your guests a cocktail and conversation as you invite them in.
- If you don't have a table large enough for everyone to sit at, then make sure you do have enough seating for your guests. Depending on your menu, most guests do not like to eat dinner standing up.
- Don't forget to place flowers or a fragrant candle in the guest bathroom as well as hand towels. Details will be noticed and remembered.
- Consider your guests when planning your dinner menu. A guest who is vegan has very specific food constraints, as well as anyone with food allergies. Design a menu that will be pleasing to all.
Mindy Weiss is one of the most sought after event planners and lifestyle experts in the United States. Visit: MindyWeiss.com
Stay In The Know
Marie Claire email subscribers get intel on fashion and beauty trends, hot-off-the-press celebrity news, and more. Sign up here.
Pamela Anderson's Sons Aren't Happy About Her Going Makeup-Free
"They were just horrified."
By Meghan De Maria
There Was a Moment In Time When Everyone Thought Kate Winslet Was Trying to Become a Pop Star
Despite last night’s episode of HBO’s ‘The Regime,’ Winslet is actually blessed with solid vocal chops.
By Rachel Burchfield
Kacey Musgraves Is “Horrified” Over Wardrobe Malfunction on ‘Saturday Night Live’
Musgraves made her ‘SNL’ debut Saturday night, performing two songs off of her upcoming album ‘Deeper Well.’
By Rachel Burchfield
24 Whiskey Cocktail Recipes to Whip Up for St. Patrick's Day
If you're feeling lucky on March 17, say sláinte and try one of these spirited sips.
By Michelle Stansbury
Meet the Woman Blending the Traditional and the Modern in French Winemaking
How Florence Haynes combined the traditional and the contemporary for Gratien & Meyer Crémant de Loire.
The 10 Best Nonstick Cookware Sets
The nonstick pans, pots, and skillets that make cooking easy.
By Nicole Papantoniou, Good Housekeeping Institute
The Royal Family Shared the Recipe for the Queen's Favorite Boozy Christmas Pudding
The Royal Family Twitter account shared the royal chef's recipe for the Queen's favorite boozy Christmas pudding.
By Kayleigh Roberts
5 Best Soda Streams for Convenient Carbonation
Upgrade your sparkling water game with a Soda Stream carbonator that'll fizz up drinks in a flash.
By Zarah A. Kavarana
3 Pro Tips for Putting Together the Best Bouquets
Essential advice for everyday enthusiasts and budding florists alike.
By Marie Claire
Natural Wines That Taste as Good as They Look
If you haven't gone au natural yet, it's time to start.
By Taylore Glynn
39 Super Easy Fourth of July Cocktails to Try
Forget the fireworks. The real show is what you can make with your bar cart.
By Bianca Rodriguez