1. E L James's original pen name was "Snowqueen's Icedragon."
2. Hardware stores reported abnormally high rope sales around the time Fifty Shades mania was at a fever pitch.
3. A women's charity in the U.K. was so disgusted by the book that they requested people donate their copies to be burned. Only 24 books were submitted for the bonfire, so they decided to use the pages as toilet paper instead. Sustainable smut—nice!
4. Actresses auditioning for the part of Anastasia Steele had to read a monologue from the Ingmar Bergman film Persona (1966) to see if they could handle the film's subject matter.
5. Reading the book—or worse, the whole series—is linked to a whole load of bad-for-you behaviors including binge drinking, promiscuity, a tendency to have an abusive partner, among others. Told you science was out to take away everything you love.
6. Oprah is an impatient Fifty Shades reader. "I have downloaded all the novels, and for the first time, I can take some guilty pleasure and just read. But I'm thinking, 'Stop with the story, get to the juicy part.'"
7. J.K. Rowling said she has no intention of ever reading FSOG. (Her editor also made her promise she'd never touch it, perhaps fearful of contact inner-goddess-itis.)
8. FSOG has sold more than 100 million copies worldwide, which is more than both Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and the Twilight series.
9. Angelina Jolie was originally offered the gig as director, but turned it down. How insane(ly amazing) would that have been?
10. This will be the first film adaptation of fan fiction.
11. Jamie Dornan wore a "penis pouch" while shooting. "It's like one of those little satchels that Robin Hood or someone of that era would have tied on to his belt. There's no back. It's tiny. I mean, it's not tiny! Because it's got to hold a lot." If you say so...
12. Sam Taylor-Johnson used her art-world connections to furnish Christian Grey's penthouse with works by Jake Chapman (a former boyfriend of Taylor-Johnson's), John Baldessari, Edward Ruscha, Gary Hume, Georgie Hopton, Harland Miller, and Rob Pruitt.
13. Jamie Dornan had to learn to walk differently to play Christian Grey: The actor tends to walk on his toes rather than his heels.
14. There were a few injuries during the nine-and-a-half-weeks shoot. "I think there was a bit of rope burn," director Sam Taylor-Johnson said. "I'd have to remind Jamie to hold back with the prop."
16. Dornan had some "good chats" with an expert for his sex scenes. "He's a guru, and a dominant...I learned all sorts of tricks that will support me through my life."
17. Some people are trying to make the Fifty Shades Baby Boom a thing.
18. The owner of the U.K.'s Damson Dene Hotel felt guests would enjoy S&M more than some Psalms, so he replaced all the nightstand Bibles with copies of Fifty Shades. There's a joke to be made about housekeeping costs here.
19. E L James's website includes "soundtracks" of the songs that inspired her sex scenes. Every book in the trilogy has its own playlist, including music such as Britney Spears's "Toxic," Damien Rice's "The Blower's Daughter," and Kings of Leon's "Sex on Fire."
20. Jamie Dornan once sang in the now-defunct folk band Sons of Jim. Their claim to fame was opening for KT Tunstall on tour.
21. For her first acting gig, 10-year-old Dakota Johnson and her half-sister Stella Banderas played Melanie Griffith's daughters in Crazy in Alabama, which was directed by her stepfather Antonio Banderas.
22. A first edition of Tess of the D'Urbervilles, like the one Christian gives Ana, would go for a cool $14,000.
23. The Red Room of Pain took the most work to create, according to set designer C. Scott Baker. BDSM advisers were brought on board during filming to make sure the filmmakers "weren't doing things the [BDSM] community would flag as wrong."
25. Jamie Dornan's reported Christian Grey fitness routine: five protein shakes a day and three-hour daily workouts, including hundred of sit-ups. It takes hard work to earn the nickname "The Golden Torso."
26. Dakota Johnson had to wear a pubic hair pouch that wrapped around her entire body.
You should also check out our whole Fifty Shades of Grey section, plus: