1. Brunch and its incredible significance in your life. Where else can you rehash events from the night before with your friends, drink, and order Eggs Benedict?
2. The struggle over whether you should give up trying to get a taxi after 20 minutes. Or fight to the finish since you've already made it so far.
3. You know that pigeons defecating on your newly blown out hair is not, in fact, "good luck."
4. Each corner becomes a race to see if you can beat Suit Guy or Sneaker Lady to the next corner. And it counts as your workout for the day.
5. The importance of geo-tagging on Instagram. How else will I know what everyone at this restaurant has ordered before me?
6. The feeling of panic when you realize you may have left your apartment without your cell phone. There's NO way you're climbing up those five flights of stairs again.
7. That it's socially acceptable to ask people how much they pay in rent each month. And then shed one glistening tear when they explain that their apartment is rent-controlled… and has a backyard.
8. Get irrationally mad at the slow walker in front of you. I'm late for work! Are you a snail? Is this a sidewalk for snails? I didn't think so!
9. And then overwhelmed with guilt when you realize it's a senior citizen. Oops. Take your time ma'am.
10. Pizza has never tasted better (or had less calories!) than when eaten at 3am. Who needs dinner when you can fill up on bar snacks and beers and then fall asleep with a pizza in your bed?
11. Rooftop parties. And how many Instagram likes they score you.
12. The threat of a sidewalk grate-related death at any moment. When, I ask you, are those going to be outlawed? Who can I tweet about this?
13. You're not mad when air conditioner goo sprays on you from above. It's refreshing!
14. Commuting is "me" time. I just want to sit here, listen to to my embarrassing playlist on Spotify's privacy setting, and not talk.
15. When visiting relatives comment on the foul smell. You're completely immune.
16. You've seen the same person panhandling on the same corner now for seven years. You know each other by name.
17. Your walk home can include a cocktail, a major shopping jaunt, running into an ex, and petting at least three dogs. In no particular order.
[image id='9682d4c1-e387-4445-9964-e9db395a928c' mediaId='84556dd0-25a8-48ae-b5f6-fb3219fa1f90' loc='C'][/image]
Photo Credit: Instagram
Stay In The Know
Marie Claire email subscribers get intel on fashion and beauty trends, hot-off-the-press celebrity news, and more. Sign up here.
Hallie has worked in beauty editorial for ten years and has been editorial director at Byrdie since 2021. Previously, she was a senior editor at Byrdie since 2016. During her time at Byrdie, she's written hundreds of high-performing stories on skincare, wellness (including fitness, diet, mental health, body image, et al) makeup, and hair. She's a regular on set, helping to source inspiration for makeup and hair looks, as well as interviewing celebrities, models, and other notable women and men in the beauty space.
Before that, Hallie ran Marie Claire's social media and wrote beauty and culture stories for the site, and helped launch Time Inc.'s digital-only beauty brand, MIMI. After college, she contributed to Time Out New York’s Shopping & Style section before landing her first beauty editor gig at Hearst's Real Beauty. Hallie's writing has also appeared in ELLE, Cosmopolitan, and InStyle. Hallie graduated with a BA in Communication Arts from the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
J.Crew’s Massive Swim Sale Has Got You Covered for Vacation Season
Chic-as-hell bikinis, one-pieces, and cover-ups are up to 50 percent off.
By Brooke Knappenberger
An ‘Us Weekly’ Source Shares a Wild Rumor About Tish Cyrus and Noah Cyrus’ Alleged Feud
“The turmoil between Noah and Tish goes far beyond (what people think).”
By Danielle Campoamor
Naked Dressing Dominates at Saint Laurent's Show, Both On and Off the Runway
Models and guests alike bared it all at the Paris showing.
By Melony Forcier
PSA: Amazon Is Having a Secret Sale on Weighted Blankets
Couldn't we all use a little sedative action right now?
By Kelsey Mulvey
The Iconic House from "The Golden Girls" Has Been Put on the Market for the First Time Ever
This is MAJOR.
By Kelly Corbett
The Prints by Black Women Artists Your Walls Have Been Missing
You're going to need a lot of Command strips for this haul.
By Bianca Rodriguez
All of the Moons That Are Expected In 2020
Keep your eyes on the skies this year.
By Nathalie Kirby
A Super Pink Moon Will Be Visible Tonight
It's the biggest, brightest supermoon of the year.
By Isabel Garcia
Chrissy Teigen Says Nothing Else Compares To This Cozy Barefoot Dreams Blanket
"I use mine 365."
By Jasmine Gomez
17 Books About Fashion Your Coffee Table Is Missing
The perfect low-key accent piece.
By Bianca Rodriguez
No, Your Down Payment Doesn't Have to Be 20 Percent
There are pros and cons of putting down less.
By Anni Irish