Editors handpick every product that we feature. We may earn commission from the links on this page.
Don't worry—these looks will keep you warm, too.
Here’s a hot take: Winter is cute in theory, but not so much IRL. Of course twinkling lights and snow flurries are great, but let’s not forget the below-zero temperatures and slippery ice. Few things are more unbearable than dressing for a frigid winter morning, and it's easy to slip into the same pieces you’ve been wearing all season long: black sweater, black jeans, black boots, and a parka. I get it—when it’s freezing out, fashion tends to get thrown out the door in favor of warmth. But I’m here to prove that you can still look stylish even when the temperature hits below zero. Below are some outfit ideas that will give you serious cold-weather inspo.
There's no avoiding layers when you're trying to stay warm, but one perk of winter dressing is the different textures you can play around with. Start with a Fair Isle turtleneck in neutral tones to avoid looking too “holidayish” and build from there. Next layer is the two-tone pant and jacket—this is a great "hanging in the lodge" look. Finally, when you step outside, throw on this faux leather puffer. Accessory-wise, keeping with the winter theme, add a fun shearling bag, rubber puddle boots, knit socks, and gold hoops.
1. Baum Und Pferdgarten turtleneck, $199; 2. EBJ Gallery hoops, $140; 3. Nanushka puffer, $680; 4. Paloma Wool jacket, $175; 5. Paloma Wool pants, $163; 6. Saint Laurent bag, $1,990; 7. Land's End socks, $7.77; 8. Bottega Veneta boots, $650.
Take your t-shirt and jeans to the next level with a loud geometric print sweater and a shaggy shearling coat. Add some cool yellow kicks and a cranberry bag to complement the colors in the sweater. The relaxed fit of the jean and the t-shirt will offset the bold outerwear.
1. Oma The Label earrings, $79; 2. Miu Miu sweater, $2,050; 3. Mad Happy t-shirt, $70; 4. Saks Potts coat, $1,610; 5. RE/DONE jeans, $260; 6. Marc Jacobs bag, $297; 7. Jordan sneakers, $150.
The North Face 1996 Retro Puffer Jacket is It-girl approved (Emily Ratajkowski and Kendall Jenner both own this jacket in various colorways). Not only has it garnered the cool-girl seal of approval, it’s actually warm. In the spirit of “cool girl” style, pair the puffer with some faux leather trousers and a white bodysuit. Do as Kendall and EmRata do and finish off your look with some hot accessories like an LV pochette, Prada derby shoes, and a baseball hat.
1. North Face puffer, $279; 2. Dsquared2 hat, $175; 3. Agolde bodysuit, $98; 4. Staud pants, $350; 5. Louis Vuitton pochette, $630; 6. Prada derby shoes, $950.
Think getting out of bed to go out in the winter is tough? Try figuring out a cute nighttime outfit that works with the elements. This is when an embellished sweater saves the day (or night, I should say). The crystal embellishments take this sweater up a notch, making it night out-approved. Keeping with the theme, add a pair of crystal earrings and matching green mules. You can’t go wrong with a teddy bear coat; it’s a classic piece that is warm and chic.
1. Danijo earrings, $120; 2. Area sweater, $695; 3. Babaton teddy coat, $298; 4. SLVRLAKE jeans, $280; 5. Coperni bag, $665; 6. Roger Vivier mules, $1,395.
This look is for all my punk princesses who want to look a little more polished. Pair a patent and faux-fur jacket with a check A-line midi skirt. Play into the punk vibe with some knee-high lug sole boots. Give your look a sophisticated touch with a cashmere collared knit bodysuit and some chic leather gloves. Finish things off with some cool sunnies and dainty earrings.
1. Nanushka bodysuit, $269; 2. Le Specs sunglasses, $49; 3. Stand Studio jacket, $590; 4. Fleuri earrings, $428; 5. Ellery skirt, $424; 6. Mark & Graham gloves, $60; 7. Zara boots, $169.
If a big ‘ol puffer just isn’t your style, take the layered route to keep warm. Start with a checked wool jacket and pair it with a sweatshirt for extra warmth. If the look feels too masculine, add a ruffled high-neck blouse for a feminine touch. For the bottom half, try a pair of corduroy pants; the thick fabric is great for super cold days. Finish off with a matching bucket hat, suede lace-up boots, and a furry bag for that winter touch.
1. Isabel Marant hat, $160; 2. La Vie Rebecca Taylor blouse, $275; 3. Isabel Marant Etoile jacket, $545; 4. Mad Happy sweatshirt, $165; 5. Giuliva Heritage Collection pants, $351; 6. Hereu bag, $315; 7. Scarosso boots, $267.
Stand out in a sea of black parkas and try a printed statement coat. Don’t be afraid of color—winter is way too dull as it is to spend it wearing black. Build your look around a color, like pairing this red faux snakeskin coat with matching red jeans. Keep the rest of the outfit black in order to balance out the red.
1. Scunci headband, $5.99; 2. Simonett turtleneck, $35; 3. Stand Studio coat, $156; 4. Tod's Holly bag, $1,895; 5. Eytys jeans, $203; 6. Ann Demeulemeester boots, $755; 7. & Other Stories gloves, $49.
Sweatsuits aren’t going anywhere, so it’s time to embrace them. For the days when it’s too cold to put in any effort: Start with a simple white sweatsuit as your base, add an oversized warm moto jacket, pile on the necklaces, throw on some cool kicks, and top it off with a black beanie for warmth. If you want an extra pop of color, add a mini Balenciaga city bag (which is back! Time to dig yours out of storage).
. 1. Melinda Maria necklace, $180; 2. Melinda Maria necklace, $178; 3. Cydnie Jordan New York sweatshirt, $125; 4. Cydnie Jordan New York sweatpants, $125; 5. Raey leather jacket, $1,073; 6. Balenciaga bag, $1,850; 7. Nike sneakers, $100.
Play with proportions by pairing this oversized puffer with a sleek black leather midi skirt and a cutout knit. Add a pair of cowboy boots for an unexpected twist or swap in some heeled boots to transition into nighttime. Bring some color into your look with orange lensed sunglasses and finish off with a cool-girl favorite, Vivienne Westwood stud earrings.
1. Gentle Monster sunglasses, $280; 2. Vivienne Westwood earrings, $94; 3. Dion Lee top, $405; 4. Saks Potts puffer, $904; 5. Zara skirt, $50; 6. BaubleBar rings, $48; 7. Ariat boots, $180.
Participate in one of this season’s biggest trends by sporting some fringe. For my ladies who live in places with a mild climate, this wool blend shirt jacket is the perfect weight. Let the jacket shine by pairing it with jeans and a classic white blouse.
1. Mejuri hoops, $90; 2. Ralph Lauren shirt, $69; 3. Philosophy Di Lorenzo Serafini jacket, $1,095; 4. Saint Laurent belt, $375; 5. Isabel Marant boots, $875; 6. Bottega Veneta bag, $3,524; 7. RE/DONE jeans, $150.