Maybe I should start acting like the guys in the MTV show "Is She Really Going Out With Him". I've tried to adjust my "game" before, but I end up back in square one of lameness. While women complain about "douche bags," these guys seem to do just fine attracting women.
The word "Douche Bag" has become pervasive in American slang. Women use it to describe no good, rotten, bad seed scoundrels. In the '90's, TLC described these types as "scrubs," while Destiny's Child characterized the bouche bag in "Bills, Bills, Bills." Carly Simon's "You're So Vain" described a rich, preppy douche with not a care in the world besides galavanting around being fawned over by women (I'm trying to be that guy in the picture to the right).
Because I may well be a Douche Bag myself, I can't be the one to define the word. Therefore, I put together a panel of females to give me Douche Bag characteristics and stories. The responses came back in three main categories: Fashion/Style, Professional, and Behavioral.
Here is what my panel said:
Fashion/Style - Douche bags like to cling on to fashion and style movements. If he's a "poser" and doesn't believe in his style, then he's a douche bag.
- "Listens to "emo" rock (a.k.a. emotional rock like Fall Out Boy, etc.)"
- "Dresses like a tool"
- "Wife beaters and jorts accessorized with flat-brimmed sideways hats"
Professional/Financial - Douche bags are not shy about announcing their power and wealth; despite this apparent wealth, they are notoriously cheap when it comes to dating.
- "Talks a lot about his high-paying job as a financial X, Y or Z"
- "Asks people to call him "Doctor" before he even applies to or graduates med school"
- "Publicizes his salary or anything else that he thinks is big on a regular basis"
Behavioral -Douche bags treat women poorly, and they are selfish and disrespectful.
- "Not interested in meeting new people, doesn't make eye contact(as though he is above everyone else in the room)"
- "Mean to your family"
- "Makes you wait without apologizing"
- "Suggests you lose weight"
- "Talks about himself in the third person"
In The Wild - true life stories of Douche Baggery
- "He cheated on me with the same girl, three times"
- "He didn't get me anything for V-Day but I found email confirmation for a flower delivery to his ex's house"
- "We were on vacation and, while I was asleep, he went out and hooked up with two girls. He then blamed me, saying I didn't give him enough "action"
- (From an Asian Friend of mine) "He introduced me to his out-of-town friend, who I was just meeting, as his "Asian cleaning lady"
- "He played our sex video at his fraternity housein front of 20 brothers"
- "He was supposed to be home but walked into the bar I was in...accompanied by another girl"
My favorite response from my panel is an excerpt from an email in which the douche bag in question explains, in detail, his need for more "ME" time:
"I love you more than anything, but I feel like I'm already giving you as much time as a girlfriend should need. In fact, I was curious myself, so here's a rough breakdown:
Total Waking hours in a week= 112
Time w/Ashley =~35 (~5 hours phone, 6 hours 1 mid-week visit, on average 1 full day of weekend and two evenings = ~24 hours)
At least Ashley gets the most hours per week (exactly 5 times the hours he spends eating), though sports could easily overtake her, considering it's only 10 hours behind. Breaking out the 6 hours mid-week visit is a nice touch- sounds like visiting hours in an insane asylum.
So, all that considered, here's my definition of a Douche Bag:
Douche Bag (n.) (pr. doosh-bag), English
1. A self-absorbed, inconsiderate, male incapable of treating a female with respect or loyalty.
2. A jerk
Plural: Douche Bags, Douche
Sentence (plural): Look at all that douche over there.
Sentence (adjective): Those shoes are so douche.
I'm working on a documentary style video of douche bag research for an upcoming post. I'd like to add you to my panel to help me define douche. What characteristics would you add to the list, and can you contribute any Douche Bag stories/experiences? What's your definition of a douche bag, besides Rich Santos (woops third person)?
Follow me on Twitter:
The Best Face Masks for Every Skin Type and Concern
Oily skin? Need a glow? Want hydration? We have you covered.
By Samantha Holender
Is the Humble Bar of Soap the Future of Beauty?
Bars, powders, and concentrates are the beauty world’s latest obsession. Here's why everyone's going "waterless."
By Deanna Pai
Laptop Backpacks That Provide Both Fashion and Function
Stylish, take-anywhere backpacks that fit your laptop (and everything else, too).
By Julia Marzovilla
The 50 Best Vibrators, According to Sex Toy Experts
The most trusted source in feelin' yourself.
By Alanna Greco
The 16 Best Sex Games to Spice Up Date Night With
Game night, but make it hot.
By The Editors
COVID Forced My Polyamorous Marriage to Become Monogamous
For Melanie LaForce, pandemic-induced social distancing guidelines meant she could no longer see men outside of her marriage. But monogamy didn't just change her relationship with her husband—it changed her relationship with herself.
By Melanie LaForce
Four Flirting Fun Facts--With Research to Back Them Up!
My pal Judy Dutton just wrote an excellent new book: How We Do It: How the Science of Sex Can Make You a Better Lover. She's chatted with me about the psychological studies that show how best to flirt; what kind of pick-up lines work best; and what you're really saying with your body language.
By Maura Kelly
100 Sex Songs That Won't Make You Cringe
Dim the lights and hit play on this sex songs — the perfect playlist of songs to have sex to.
By The Editors
75 Movie Sex Scenes That Are 100 Percent Real
These actors aren't faking anything.
By Mehera Bonner
33 Unexpected Valentine's Day 2022 Date Ideas
A.k.a. not dinner and roses.
By The Editors
Cult Status Satisfyer Vibrators Are Under $40 for Prime Day
4 stars, 16k reviews...yeah, this vibe's got a massive fan club (for good reason).
By Carina Hsieh