In his new book Kardashian Dynasty, Ian Halperin attempts to explain how the Kardashians have built their empire over the past decade. Drawing on information from the Kardashians' own books and interviews, as well as meetings with friends and former employees, Halperin describes a family who's always known that they wanted to be famous. No surprise there, especially for anyone who's seen even one episode of Keeping Up With the Kardashians, but there are some truly shocking revelations along the way. For example, did you know that Paris Hilton is the person who first snuck Khloé into a club? Read on for this and 14 more important Kardashian revelations.
1. They're descended from garbage collectors. Robert Kardashian's grandfather, Tatos Kardashian, opened a "small garbage-collection business" in the 1910s, which Halperin reports made him "a small fortune."
2. When Kris Jenner met Robert Kardashian, she was wearing a necklace that said, "OH SHIT." He tried to pick her up by asking if her name was Janet.
3. O.J. Simpson was a groomsman at Kris's wedding to Robert Sr. And A.C. Cowlings, who drove the white Bronco during the infamous chase, was the ring bearer.
4. Both Kris and Caitlyn Jenner were once married to people who were involved with Elvis Presley. While Kris was still making up her mind about him, Robert Sr. was courting Elvis's ex-wife Priscilla, and before she met Kris, Caitlyn was married to Linda Thompson, who'd dated Elvis in the '70s. Linda claims that Elvis saw Caitlyn on television in 1976 and thought she was "handsome."
5. Rob Jr. once accidentally peed on his Jenner stepsiblings during a game of hide-and-seek. "As he was peeing on the side of the house, his siblings caught him," Halperin writes. "He was so startled that he turned around, spraying them in the process. From that day forward, they called him 'pee boy.'"
6. The first movie Caitlyn ever appeared in was also the first movie to take home the Razzie for Worst Picture. Titled Can't Stop the Music, it was a fictionalized account of the Village People's origin story. It won out over Xanadu, which is really saying something.
7. Kim lost her virginity to T.J. Jackson, son of Tito and nephew of Michael. He was her first serious boyfriend.
8. Kim and Kourtney were once thrown off a plane for saying one of their fellow passengers had a bomb. In 1996, they were traveling alone to meet Kris and Caitlyn in Atlanta for the Olympics. Says Halperin:
Before the flight could take off they became fixated on another passenger. "That guy has a bomb!" they shouted. "We want to get off the plane." Whether they were genuinely scared or whether it was simply a teenage prank has never been determined, but the plane was returned to the gate and the girls escorted off.
9. Paris Hilton snuck Khloé into her first club. Halperin says Paris did this by "putting a red wig on her, having her hold an unlit cigarette, and telling her to claim she was a Playboy centerfold."
10. Kim's brief relationship with Nick Lachey helped catapult her into the spotlight. They went to see The Da Vinci Code together in May 2006, after which a ton of paparazzi materialized to photograph them. Nick later suggested to Details that Kim had been using him, saying, "There are certain ways to play this game, and some people play it well."
11. Kris Humphries is not good at hot yoga. "He definitely needs to do more classes and to work on his format," says a woman who once taught Kris Bikram in Miami Beach. "He struggled quite a bit. He was definitely humbled doing hot yoga."
12. Kris Jenner keeps a pile of nondisclosure agreements in her foyer for all visitors to sign. This was previously mentioned in a New York Times profile, but it bears repeating because it's so delightful. The pile rests next to a framed sign that says, "What we say here, what we see here, let it stay here, when we leave here."
13. Kim asked for a reshoot of Kris Humprhies's proposal because she was unhappy with how she looked. Contributing to the perception that Kim's entire relationship with the NBA player was staged, Halperin quotes a deposition given by Russell Jay, an executive producer on Keeping Up With the Kardashians, during the divorce. "She came in and she was completely surprised, and I think she had a bad reaction or something and she was embarrassed," he said. "So she said can we just, like, have me come back in one more time and be, like, really surprised."
14. In the pre-Givenchy olden days, Kim appeared at the opening of a public toilet. There are photos.
15. Tyga is a "world-class hip-hop artist," per Halperin. News to everyone, right?
Follow Marie Claire on Instagram for the latest celeb news, pretty pics, funny stuff, and an insider POV.