Item #1: Beyoncé supposedly has a NEW ALBUM (!!), set to be released in two weeks, on Friday, November 14. Entitled Beyoncé Volume 2, the record will be a new and improved version of that album we were surprised with last year, including the same track list, plus remixes, as well as a few new songs featuring people like Nicki Minaj, Justin Timberlake, and Rihanna. (NBD.) And the release was supposedly going to take place in surprise, Groundhog Day-ish fashion.
But, item #2: We—again, supposedly—weren't supposed to know about all this. And, furthermore: We're not even sure if any of it is legit.
A memo from Parkwood Entertainment (Beyoncé's sub-company at Columbia Records) was allegedly leaked this weekend (oy), divulging the release dates, tracklist, and, well, existence of the singer's newest project. Check out the offending document in all its glory:
Now, let's play a little game of "Real or Fake?" based on the evidence for and against the matter:
- Beyoncé's camp has not commented at all, and it seems likely they would be quick to put the kibosh on the rumor were it false.
- It looks pretty official, with the logos and letterhead.
- If team Bey wasplanning on another secret release, then really, it's ABOUT TIME that something didn't work out (especially after everything went so smoothly the first time).
- The track name "DONK," featuring Nicki Minaj, was actually registered with the American Society of Composers, Authors, and Publishers in mid-October, though it was rumored that the collaboration was with Pharrell and The-Dream.
- "Cherry" (feat. Rihanna) was also registered.
- WE JUST REALLY WANT IT TO BE TRUE, OKAY?
- The memo states that Monday, November 25 is the physical album's release date. November 25 is a Tuesday. Careless typo at the record company, or is the jig up?
- We understand that Beyoncé is basically her own superhuman breed, but when the hell was she able to record this? She went from releasing her last album to promotion to her "On the Run" tour with Jay Z, which, for us mere mortals, would leave just about enough time to um, breathe. Oh, and then she was able to take a little vacay in Paris?
- Anybody with their finger on the Beyhive pulse knows about the song registrations on ASCAP.
- Anybody with said finger on the Beyhive pulse and a basic knowledge of Photoshop could have reasonably drafted something like this. (Crazier things have happened, and crazier fans have existed.)
- Is Beyoncé really one to do the same thing twice? (Secretly and without fanfare produce and release an album, that is?)
Hmmmm. We're not totally convinced either way. What we will say is that it would be quite a glorious way to start the holiday season—and that we really, really hope that "DONK" featuring Nicki Minaj is actually a thing.
Image via Getty