While I wave my I Love Jeans flag high, I get that not every office is as denim-friendly as mine is. But as someone who's worked in stuffy places too, I can attest that denim *does* work—you just need to know how to do it right. Here, a primer.
Fact: With a killer shoe, structured bag, and statement coat you can totally get away with wearing jeans. Just make sure to sport a dark wash (it's like going incognito) and keep the pieces in the same color family to keep it totally polished.
1. Fifteen Twenty Mohair Jacket, $429; fifteentwenty.com
2. H&M Silk Top, $50; hm.com
3. DSTLD High Waisted Jeans in Dusk Vintage, $65; dstldjeans.com
4. Micro Perry Satchel, $295; rebeccaminkoff.com
5. Ted & Muffy Oberon, $240; tedandmuffy.com
Jeans only acceptable on Fridays? (Or just an anti-pants gal?) Try a denim take on the always-appropriate pencil skirt. Pair with heels and a structured bag for a look that's still totally appropriate for meetings with the boss.
1. Oversized faux leather bag, $30; forever21.com
2. Frame Le Drope Yoke Popover Blouse, $258; shopbop.com
3. Nina Agenda, $148; ninashoes.com
4. Jenna High Waisted Skirt, $30; boohoo.com
These jeans have a trouser feel, making them perfect with a button-down and duster vest for meetings, appointments, or whatever you have on that 1032-item to-do list of yours.
1. Mumu Black Crisp Top, $96; showmeyourmumu.com
2. Missguided Longline Sleeveless Blazer, $34; missguidedus.com
3. Citizens of Humanity Butterfly Trouser in Highline, $188; citizensofhumanity.com
4. Kenneth Cole Reaction Arbol Satchel, $35; tjmaxx.com
5. Everlane The Modern Point Shoes, $155; everlane.com
If your company is really anti-jeans, you can incorporate denim in other ways—like a denim top with sleek pants with interesting flats.
1. Current/Elliott Popover Top, $89; currentelliott.com
2. Bella Large Satchel Bag, $328; fossil.com
3. Cigarette Pants, $58; topshop.com
4. Chloe Flat, $295; coyenokes.com
A simple, shift denim dress with a blazer and tights is appropriate for pretty much any office setting. Not to mention, is the lazy girl's ultimate office hack.
1. Topshop Notch Blazer, $65; topshop.com
2. Victoria Beckham Denim Dress, $395; net-a-porter.com
3. Rae Satchel in aster, $295; uggaustralia.com
4. The Heist Pump, $365; stuartweitzman.com