One former employee reveals what really went down when customers (and managers) weren't watching, but don't worry — some of them work in your favor. Here's what happens more often than you might imagine.
1. Eat the leftovers once the restaurant closes. Freshly cooked nuggets we miiiight have accidentally cooked 5 minutes before closing taste even better after a 10-hour shift.
2. If you're rude to us we'll subliminally get our own back. Extra ice in your coke? Squashing your burger before we put it in the bag? Only half filling your fry box? Missing something off your order on purpose? Check. Check. Check. Check.
3. Sometimes your vanilla milkshake will have no flavor in it because we can't be bothered to replace the empty bag of syrup. Plain shake mix is basically vanilla anyway, right?
4. We customize our own burgers to eat during breaks and basically created these secret menu hacks. A Big Mac with bacon? A McChicken Sandwich with cheese? Or that Chicken Big Mac that's only available in Australia? Yep, we've definitely made that before.
5. If you're kind and polite, we'll probably give you extra McFlurry toppings. Have you ever had caramel sauce on a McFlurry? Or had sauce and chocolate at the bottom of the cup, ice cream in the middle and more sauce and chocolate on the top? Bloody fantastic, believe us.
6. We've definitely said we've run out of apple pies, even if we haven't because they take approx. 4,000 years to cook and literally nobody has time for that. Sorry.
7. We may or may not take advantage of the Monopoly vouchers we find lying around. Sure, why wouldn't we go to another restaurant and get a free Sausage and Egg McMuffin or Cheeseburger? Free food is free food.
8. And those free coffee vouchers you hand over when you've painstakingly collected all six stickers? Yeah, we don't always rip those up and put them in the bin like we should …
9. If we go for a 'toilet break' mid-shift, we usually go for a snack break, too. Maybe a bottle of orange juice or something from the huge walk-in chillers out the back.
10. We play games with the old chicken nuggets. Before we chuck old nuggets out, we'll sometimes have some fun with them. You only need two people to play, one to bat (using a bun spatula as the racket, obvs) and the other person to bowl. Nugget football works too. Waste not, want not!