You Were Laid Off
Four ways to head off "taking initiative" lectures.
- "Mom, can I borrow the computer? I need to log on to LinkedIn."
- "It's OK to bring my résumé to the Johnson's party, right?"
- "I need some alone time — to prepare for phone interviews."
- Bring your briefcase home — they don't need to know it's stashed with old issues of MC.
You Just Broke Up
Five white lies about the split to make them stop asking.
- "Blame it on Sex and the City, Grandpa."
- "He said he was intimidated by my professional success — it made me realize I need someone more focused."
- "Can we talk about this later? I have a date tonight."
- "Yes, Nana, I do want kids… Yes, you will know them."
- "I couldn't date a guy who hates your cooking, Mom."
You're Not Ready for a Baby
What to do when everyone's saying it's your turn.
- Hiding the pill: "What, this? It's a breath mint." …from my gynecologist.
- "I just love sushi and cold cuts too much. And I've got a cat. And white furniture."
- "I'm ovulating." Now they really won't bother you and the hubby when you just want to nap.
- "I'm going to concentrate on being the best aunt I can be first."
- "Didn't you hear about the 67-year old woman who had twins last week?"
- "I could never be as good of a mom as you are."
HOME FOR THE HOLIDAYS SURVIVAL GUIDE