Celebrity news, beauty, fashion advice, and fascinating features, delivered straight to your inbox!
Thank you for signing up to . You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
1. A Futon. "Futons are le worst! The older you get the squishier your bed should be," says designer, potter and author, Jonathan Adler. (opens in new tab)
2. Temporary furniture. "Often I see people waiting to move into the 'forever home' before they begin to decorate, and until then, simply buy whatever is on sale to fill up the space," says designer Scot Meacham Wood. (opens in new tab) "But, by the age of 30, you should really be living intentionally—invest in some classic pieces that you can carry with you, but stop waiting."
3. TV Stands. "Be gone, TV stands that were purchased with your TV!" says Lauren Buxbaum and Sasha Adler, Design Directors at Nate Berkus Associates (opens in new tab). "It's time to do something a little less functional and a little more decorative."
5. Florescent floor lamps. "They can be very unflattering," warns Buxbaum and Adler. "Incandescent and soft lighting floor lamps are just as accessible, but they're easier on the eyes, prettier in the space and do wonders for your complexion."
6. Bare wood floors and postage stamp size area rugs. Rugs ground a room and bring so much warmth and life to a space. "Instead of reaching for the quickest solution, reach for a rug that adds texture, color or pattern—in the largest size your room can handle!" advise Buxbaum and Adler. "It's amazing how it can elevate the whole look of a room."
7. Cheap bedding. "Really, there's no good reason to have cheap bedding whatever your age might be," explains Wood. "But, once you hit your 30's (opens in new tab), you should really be treating yourself better."
8. An unmade bed. "It takes 60 seconds in the morning to make up your bed and it starts off your day with an accomplished feeling," says designer Ryan White (opens in new tab).
9. Plastic dishware and serving pieces. According to Buxbaum and Adler these just aren't necessary, "unless it's for the garden party."
10. Kitchy picture frames. Yes, the ones of you and your bestie that say best friends. "In your 30s its time to invest in timeless pieces that you'll carry with you forever," says Gibbons. "Think classic silver-plated frames or other styles that feel sophisticated and coordinate with your decor."
11. Accent Walls. "Rather than enhancing a space it feels like it does just the opposite," explains Buxbaum and Adler. "There are so many other ways to create a focal point and make a statement."
12. That collection of shot glasses from your college spring break adventures on display. "These are only ok if you're still in college AND live in a sorority or frat house!" says Gibbons.
13. An empty fireplace mantel or bookshelf (opens in new tab). Use flowers, art and accessories to add drama to any surface, advises White. "Buy interesting and fun objects to dress up your storage spaces."
14. Fake plants or trees. Even if you don't have a green thumb these just aren't necessary. "Use air plants that only require a small about of water and attention to green up any room," says White.
15. The pillows sold with the sofa. They are uniform and boring, "Buy different sized pillows and play with different colors and textures," says White.
10 Things Arianna Huffington Wished She Knew In Her Twenties (opens in new tab)
12 Job Facts Every College Grad Should Know (opens in new tab)
10 Things No One Ever Tells You About Owning a Dog (opens in new tab)
16 Thoughts Every Girl Has During A Night Out (opens in new tab)
via ELLE Decor (opens in new tab)
I'm the Assistant Social Editor for Elle Decor, House Beautiful and Veranda. I am coffee-obsessed and a lover of travel, photography and all things with color and shine.
Clarifying Shampoos to Banish Build-Up
Because nobody has time for lank hair or an itchy, irritated scalp.
By Gabrielle Ulubay
The Biggest Fall Trends, Straight From the Runways
And just like that, we're back.
By Sara Holzman
Here’s the Trick Kate Middleton Uses to Look So Good in Photos
A royal style expert gives the scoop.
By Rachel Burchfield
PSA: Amazon Is Having a Secret Sale on Weighted Blankets
Couldn't we all use a little sedative action right now?
By Kelsey Mulvey
The Iconic House from "The Golden Girls" Has Been Put on the Market for the First Time Ever
This is MAJOR.
By Kelly Corbett
The Prints by Black Women Artists Your Walls Have Been Missing
You're going to need a lot of Command strips for this haul.
By Bianca Rodriguez
All of the Moons That Are Expected In 2020
Keep your eyes on the skies this year.
By Nathalie Kirby
A Super Pink Moon Will Be Visible Tonight
It's the biggest, brightest supermoon of the year.
By Isabel Garcia
Chrissy Teigen Says Nothing Else Compares To This Cozy Barefoot Dreams Blanket
"I use mine 365."
By Jasmine Gomez
17 Books About Fashion Your Coffee Table Is Missing
The perfect low-key accent piece.
By Bianca Rodriguez
No, Your Down Payment Doesn't Have to Be 20 Percent
There are pros and cons of putting down less.
By Anni Irish