Dry shampoo doesn't just sop up oil and give you irresistably second-day sexy hair like this in an instant; it can help you in a bunch of other surprising ways too. Hairstylist Mark Townsend, who tends to the tresses of A-listers on the regular, tells you how.
1. It keeps your curls from clumping together. If you want your curls to be piece-y and imperfect, keep them from clumping together in a uniform wave by spraying a starch-based dry shampoo, like Dove's Dry Shampoo, all over your hair after you curl it. The starch in the dry shampoo coats your hair and makes it dry and matte, covering your hair's natural oils, so your curls don't intertwine and make a master wave.
2. It boosts volume in one spray. "I usually tell my clients to flip their head upside down, since the gravity will help increase the volume as you add in the dry shampoo," he says. After that, make sure to concentrate the dry shampoo at your roots first, and then finish by spraying it all over to add some texture and volume all around.
3. It helps lock in your hair when you backcomb. "Anytime I'm creating an updo that involves backcombing, I always spray dry shampoo on the section, and then backcomb it to help lock in the tease," Townsend says. "It just holds so much better that way."
4. It adds grip to bobby pins. To keep bobby pins from slipping out of your hair when you're doing an updo, spray them all over with dry shampoo to give them some grip first. Townsend uses this trick on the celebs that he sends down the runway to ensure their hair stays in place.
5. It adds a subtle hold to your hair. Dry shampoo offers a little hold, but unlike hairspray it won't leave you with helmet hair of any kind. It gives you that touchable hold that you can still runs your hair through.
6. It keeps your bangs from sticking to your forehead. Spraying it under your bangs only will keep your fringe from sticking to the oil on your forehead. You don't need to spray dry shampoo all over your bangs — the underneath is the most important part. It keeps your fringe together nicely as well.
7. It can help you reverse your style. If you wear a slicked back style one day and the next day you don't have time to wash it but want it to look windblown, spray dry shampoo all over your hair and then brush it through with a paddle brush. You need to work the products out of your hair that slicked it back initially, so the dry shampoo will help reverse your hair texture back.
8. It can help conceal dark roots if you're a blonde.If you're trying to cover up dark regrowth, you have to go for a powder dry shampoo instead of a starch-y one, because that formula will impart white powder onto your roots that help cover them up. Try Klorane Gentle Dry Shampoo Powder.
Photo Credit: Gallerystock