If eating out is your thing, you probably have a love-hate relationship with it. Love it because it tastes so good, hate it because it's usually so bad for you. But it doesn't have to be this tortured. You can feel good about what you eat when you're out!
The New York Times's The Upshot blog reports on the decent-for-you options at chain restaurants like Chipotle and The Cheesecake Factory (all meals under 750 calories), and offers advice for how to make healthy choices the next time you hit up Panda Express.
- Manage portion sizes by setting food aside when it comes. (Don't feel bad about throwing away the food you don't eat, The Upshot says, because "eating food you don't need is a version of waste.")
- Stick to appetizers, which are often the size of an entrée.
- Load up on fruits and vegetables over bread whenever possible.
And now, here's the list of healthy and tasty meals you can get at chain restaurants for under 750 calories:
1. Dunkin' Donuts: Egg and cheese on English muffin (240); iced coffee with cream (100). Total: 340 calories.
2. Denny's: Fit Slam: egg whites with spinach, turkey bacon, an English muffin, and fruit (390); black coffee (0). Total: 390 calories.
3. Panda Express: Beef with broccoli (150); mixed vegetables (80); brown rice (half portion, 210); Diet Pepsi (0). Total: 440 calories.
4. Subway: Six-inch roast beef sandwich with vegetables and mustard on multigrain flatbread (330); Baked Lays (130); Diet Fuze Tea (0). Total: 460 calories.
5. Starbucks: Whole-grain oatmeal, with half a brown sugar packet and toppings (385); tall cappuccino with 2 percent milk (90). Total: 475 calories.
6. McDonald's: McWrap Chicken & Ranch (460); apple slices (two orders, 30); clementine (40). Total: 530 calories.
7. Pret A Manger: Balsamic chicken and avocado sandwich (490); two clementines (80); Diet Coke (0). Total: 570 calories.
8. Wendy's: Asian cashew chicken salad (380); club soda (0); junior chocolate Frosty (200). Total: 580 calories.
9. Burger King: Double hamburger (320); side Caesar salad (290); unsweetened tea (0). Total: 610 calories.
10. Lyfe Kitchen: Fish tacos with chayote slaw, avocado, and toppings (480); greens (75); cucumber mint Lyfe Water (60). Total: 615 calories.
11. Sweetgreen:Quinoa and farro bowl, with arugula, chickpeas, feta, broccoli, almonds, cilantro, olive oil, and lemon juice. Total: 615 calories.
12. Umami Burger: Ahi tuna burger, with toppings (570); pickle plate (half portion, 85); sparkling water (0). Total: 655 calories.
13. Chipotle: Burrito bowl with steak, black beans, brown rice, sour cream, lettuce, and mild salsa (655); soda water (0). Total: 655 calories.
14. Maoz: Falafel sandwich on wheat pita with toppings (610); vegetable soup (80); water (0). Total: 690 calories.
15. Capital Grille: Lobster and crab cakes with corn relish (490); greens (200); sparkling water with lemon (0). Total: 690 calories.
16. California Pizza Kitchen: Veggie pizza (half portion, 535); 18-ounce Bud Light (165). Total: 700 calories.
17. Ruth's Chris Steak House: Petite filet and shrimp (490); broiled tomato (half portion, 40); asparagus (half portion, 25); red wine (150). Total: 705 calories.
18. Cheesecake Factory: Tuscan chicken (590); red wine (150). Total: 740 calories.
19. Olive Garden: Chicken marsala with potatoes (half portion, 455); salad with house dressing (140); red wine (150). Total: 745 calories.