Oh, wrinkles. Like health insurance and taxes, they're not your problem until, you know, they are. And at 24-years-old, my day has come. I've officially gotten my first fine line. 😱
Full disclosure: It's only really visible when I scrunch my forehead or in the most unforgiving light, but it's enough to have kicked me into okay-this-aging-thing-is-happening gear.
Since having my baby's-first-wrinkle-moment and consulting Dr. Neal Schultz, NYC dermatologist, host of DermTV.com, and creator of BeautyRx by Dr. Schultz, I've made some adjustments to my day-to-day. So here are three things, other than cleanse and moisturize, that every twenty-something should be doing to anti-age (sans Botox).
1. Wearing sunscreen daily. I've always known how important SPF is daily (not just on hot summer days or trips to the beach), but empowering myself to slather it on every single day has always been challenge. What can I say, it's a chore.
But between the newly-minted wrinkle haunting me and getting a stern talking to from Dr. Schultz, I've been so much more diligent about sun protection: Making sure I'm using a physical sunscreen with zinc oxide, opting for eye creams and foundations with SPF, staying in the shade as much as possible, and applying sun block even on cloudy days.
2. Using a chemical exfoliant. I've written about my newfound appreciation for the chemical alternatives to irritating physical exfoliants and can't stress enough how great they are. I know they sound scary, but a gentle form of glycolic acid (what Dr. Schultz calls the "gold standard" of exfoliation) is the best way to treat discoloration and texture over time. Not to mention, reduce the appearance of fine lines! Just be sure to consult your dermatologist about what works for your skin type and how often you should be exfoliating.
3. Wearing sunglasses whenever outside. "The repetitive motion of squinting breaks collagen prematurely and adds lines," he explains about the particularly wrinkle-prone eye area. Crows feet may not be a problem now, but they're inevitably in the works if you don't protect your eyes. Remember, it's not just the sunny days that your eyes are vulnerable.
The Anti-Aging Essentials
1. Clarins Sunscreen Multi-Protection Broad Spectrum SPF 50, $42; sephora.com.
2. BeautyRx Essential 8% Exfoliating Serum, $65; beautyrx.com.
3. Dolce & Gabbana DG 4277, $300; sunglasshut.com.