Cory Monteith's Death Caused by Heroin and Champagne, Coroner Says

The 31-year-old actor's death was deemed accidental.

Cheek, Hairstyle, Collar, Chin, Forehead, Eyebrow, Dress shirt, Formal wear, Jaw, Iris,
(Image credit: Archives)

cory monteith

(Image credit: Getty)

The final coroner's report confirmed that actor Cory Monteith died from a cocktail of intravenous heroin and alcohol.

The report, which was obtained by TMZ on Wednesday, determined Monteith's death as accidental. The Glee star was found dead in his Vancouver hotel room in July. A used hypodermic needle and two empty bottles of champagne were found in the room.

The report states Monteith's official cause of death as "mixed drug toxicity, involving intravenous heroin used combined with the ingestion of alcohol."

The 31-year-old actor had previously discussed his struggles with addiction. In a Spring 2011 interview with Parade, Monteith revealed how he first went to rehab at the age of 19, after his mother and friends staged an intervention. He spoke candidly about his road to getting clean, and how he hoped his story would inspire others to do the same. "But for those people who might give up: Get real about what you want and go after it. If I can, anyone can," he said.