A Detroit woman ended up in the hospital for three days after getting “microblading,” a semi-permanent process that tattoos the eyebrows, WDIV-TV reports. The woman, who remained anonymous, told the TV network that she loved the results at first, and thought she found a good deal for $250 for the process, which normally costs around $700 to $800. But then she noticed more and more redness every day.
After a few days, she noticed lumps, and her eyebrows got painful and swollen. She visited urgent care and was given an antibiotic, but her condition got worse and worse.
"I was terrified," she said. "I didn't know. My face is swelling up. My eyes are closing. I'm thinking, 'I don't know what's going to happen.'”
Eventually, she went to the emergency room and was treated with an IV antibiotic and steroids for a total of three days in the hospital. She likely won’t have long-term damage, but risked major issues with her sinuses if she didn’t seek treatment.
Her dermatologist, Dr. Stephen Gretkin, told the network that there are a few reasons why she may have reacted this way. She might have been allergic to the tattoo ink, or something used to prepare the skin. Or she could have been told not to wash her face for two days after the procedure, and not washing the area led to an infection. Gretkin advises people do as much research as they can into a facility before signing up for microblading.
"I now regret going in there and getting it done," the woman said. "It is vanity. You want to look good and you don't ever think that's going to happen to you."
For more celebrity news, beauty and fashion advice, savvy political commentary, and fascinating features, sign up for the Marie Claire newsletter.