Jennifer Lopez has been everywhere lately (she's promoting her new film The Boy Next Door), and at each appearance she looks even more stunning than the last. Her style game is on, but we're also smitten with her makeup—those bold, smoldering eyes in particular.
On the runway last season, we saw the reinvention of the smoky eye, with makeup artists swapping out the usual charcoal shades for bronzes, purples, blues, and greens. J.Lo seems to have taken note: Earlier this week she showed up at an AOL event with teal eye makeup (far right), last week it was a shimmery rose pink all around her lids for The Daily Show (far left), and at the Golden Globes (center) she arrived sporting a gorgeous mauve smoky situation. Some of her looks are more wearable than others, but we love that she is really going for it, and we want to try it, too.
- Use a fat and smudgeable eyeliner rather than an eyeshadow. These sorts of thick eyeliner pencils and crayons are easier to work with, and they won't cause any creases on your lids. We suggest L'Oréal Paris Infallible Eye Shadow Crayon or NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil, which both come in a variety of colors and glide on extra smooth.
- Start off as if you were applying eyeliner along your top lash line and gradually get thicker as you go out.
- Then use your finger (or a small brush) and begin to smudge, blending and diffusing the color until you get your desired intensity.
- Do the same, but not as thick, to the bottom lash line.
- Finish by swiping on your favorite mascara.
Now this last part is key: To make sure you don't look too overdone, keep the rest of your face very minimal, with just a subtle glossy lip. (Although, if you're really going for the J.Lo look, you could add some shimmery bronzer as well.)