"I love this for summer because rhubarb is in season and I wanted to make a savory, rather than sweet/traditional dish. I found this recipe on Scissors & Spice and modified it by adding more vegetables. I love it because it's gluten and dairy free, but delicious and filling."
Savory Rhubarb Lentil Curry
2 large yams
2 cups red lentils
6 cups of water
2 bay leaves
3 stalks of rhubarb (diced into small pieces)
1 red bell pepper (diced into small pieces)
4 cups tatsoi, chopped finely
1 cup purple/green cauliflower
2 TB olive oil
1 TB of mustard seeds
pinch of red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
2 TB minced ginger
2 TB cumin powder
salt to taste
1. Pour 3 cups of water in a saucepan. Add lentils and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, then simmer for about 30 minutes or until lentils are soft, but not falling apart. Drain excess water.
2. Bake yams at 425 for about 20 minutes or until the skin pulls away from the flesh and the potato is soft.
3. While lentils are simmering, cut your vegetables. Blanch cauliflower.
4. In a large sauté pan, heat oil and then stir in mustard seeds. Once they start popping, add red pepper flakes and fennel. Add ginger (careful here, this may lead to a minor explosion. Have a lid handy just in case or you will have mustard seeds all over your floor.) Add cumin.
5. Add red peppers and rhubarb to the pan. Sauté for a few minutes. Add spinach and sautée until fully cooked. Add cooked lentils, cooked yam and cauliflower and stir. Add salt to taste.
6. Serve alone or with a grain like rice or quinoa.