Although Manhattan summers are notoriously hot and humid, this year's heat wave floored even lifetime New Yorkers when we hit 103 degrees in mid-July. As an intern in the Marie Claire beauty closet, I learned firsthand which products are essential — and which ones to avoid — when braving the city's airless subway tunnels and crowded sidewalks.
1. Lip MoisturizerPrevent a messy handbag situation by ditching any lip balms prone to melting, such as softer formulas in tins or jars. Switch them out for a solid stick with SPF to protect against uncomfortable lip burns. Neutrogena Lip Moisturizer SPF 15 (about $3) is a favorite.
2. Solid FragranceI like to carry solid or roller-ball versions of favorite fragrances to use on my way in and out of the office. Tocca makes some pretty and portable solid scents ($30) that are light enough for summer, when the hot air seems to magnify all the less-than-desirable scents around us.
3. Blotting SheetsThese sheets are a great way to combat shiny skin, especially when followed with a super-light translucent powder. Boscia Rose Blotting Linens ($10) have a floral scent that I love.
4. Dry ShampooBeachy waves are the ultimate no-fuss summer style. However, no matter how many sea salt sprays I try, nothing seems to achieve the same effect as real waves and sun. Dry shampoo is a great way to keep the look for an extra day past the weekend. Try Rene Furterer Naturia Dry Shampoo To Go ($12). The small bottle is perfect for mid-day spritzes.
5. Whitening GumIced coffee is a summer staple. After your first (or third) cup of the day, however, you should grab a piece of whitening gum to keep breath fresh and teeth sparkling. Supersmile Professional Whitening Gum ($4) is also sugar-free.
6. Pastel Nail PolishI'm rarely minding my pedicure during days in the closet, as the other interns and I dash to gather products for upcoming stories. While I often end the day with chipped polish, I've learned to keep the bottle on hand for fast touchups. Pastels complement a bronzer-than-usual complexion. For a twist, try light green instead of the classic baby pink, like Priti Non-Toxic Polish in Green Goddess ($12.50). The earth-friendly ingredients are a bonus!