It just got a whole lot easier to reach cloud nine—and it's delicious, healthy, *and* Instagram-friendly. Introducing...the cloud egg.
According to Grub Street, the cloud egg is the latest Instagram food trend to be hitting our feeds and making us all demand fluffy, cumulonimbus-shaped eggs for brunch. And while it looks like it requires a load of sugar and additives to create such a glorious, puffy formation, think again.
The dish reportedly has as little as 161 calories and is becoming a firm favorite among health fanatics, as it requires no additional ingredients such as oil, milk, or butter to make it taste even more delectable.
Here's how to make the brunch-time treat:
- Separate the yolk from the egg whites.
- Whisk the whites as if you were making meringues to form the fluffy formation. You can also fold in extra ingredients such as cheese, ham, or bacon.
- Pop the whipped egg whites in a cloud shape on a baking tray, leaving a small crater in the middle where the yolk will go later.
- Bake in a preheated oven at approximately 450°F for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Just before they're at peak cloud, drop the egg yolk in the middle and return to the oven for three minutes before serving.
- A sprinkle of salt, pepper, parmesan, and herbs, and you've got yourself a cloud egg with what appears to be the sun (yolk) shining through.
Of course, some Instagram users are taking cloud egg' to the next level, displaying the beauties on beds of avocado, toast, salad, and kale, but we wouldn't mind just gobbling one up on its own.
How do you like your eggs in the morning?
Follow Marie Claire on Facebook for the latest celeb news, beauty tips, fascinating reads, livestream video, and more.