1. Expectation: It'll happen at home, in person.
Reality: It'll happen over text while you're comparing the costs of two bulk dried couscous bags at Shopway.
2. Expectation: You'll have a kinda sexy screaming match that culminates in breakup sex.
Reality: You will have an incredibly awkward and anxiety-ridden conversation on the couch, and not look each other in the eye.
3. Expectation: You'll quietly, elegantly gather the thongs that you left in the Girlfriend Drawer of his dresser.
Reality: You'll become a tearful ball of snot with no dignity.
4. Expectation: Seeing how upset you've made each other will make you realize how much you love each other!
Reality: You'll get freaked out by each other's weeping.
5. Expectation: You'll spend the first post-breakup evening making yourself look as awesome as possible, wear your tightest freakum dress, and rebound with a member of Kings of Leon.
Reality: You'll spend the evening in bed, watching Sex and the City and dropping caramel popcorn all over yourself without caring.
6. Expectation: You're mature enough to stay Facebook friends with him and not stalk his profile daily.
Reality: When a picture of him with a bunch of girls at a bar pops up on your feed at work, you have a tiny, imperceptible breakdown until you can get to the office bathroom and have a real breakdown.
7. Expectation: Your friends will give you as much time as you need to decompress and heal.
Reality: After a brief grace period, your friends will start getting kind of annoyed about how self-centered you've been. (And you have been.)
8. Expectation: You'll throw yourself into work, health, or creative projects with a new gusto and wind up propelling yourself to massive success on the wings of your pain.
Reality: You'll accidentally memorize the backs of boxes of snack cakes.
9. Expectation: Within one month, he will become nothing more than a sniveling, unattractive shell of himself and you'll wonder why you ever even liked him.
Reality: Within one month, he will lose five pounds and get a tan.
10. Expectation: Within three months, he'll be standing outside your window in the rain begging to get you back.
Reality: Within three months, you'll realize there are more fish in the sea than that one fish. That one Grand Theft Auto-playing, Family Guy boxers-wearing semi-stoner fish. And you'll stop looking out your window for him.
11. Expectation: You don't think about him much anymore but it's tough eating out alone.
Reality: You're no-strings hooking up with that hot friend you always wanted, but the timing was bad. Oh, and eating out alone is awesome.
12. Expectation: You lose half your friends because they were his friends too.
Reality: The people who really love you can't get stolen. If they did, they weren't gonna stick around anyway.
Follow Anna on Twitter (opens in new tab).
Photo Credit: Summit Entertainment
Writer. Things I appreciate: Ghosts, white wine, men who look like they could protect me from predators, and a great homemade deviled egg. Also, I have a VERY ambivalent obsession with Sex and The City but I'm not like any of them, other than maybe Miranda's cat.
The Ending of 'The Umbrella Academy' Season 3, Explained
The Netflix hit's finale resets its universe yet again.
By Quinci LeGardye
Lorde Is Now Blonde and It’s the All the Happiness We Need Right Now
By Deena Campbell
The Jeans Brands Fashion Editors Swear By
Your search for the perfect pair of jeans is over.
By Sara Holzman
The 50 Best Vibrators, According to Sex Toy Experts
The most trusted source in feelin' yourself.
By Alanna Greco
The 16 Best Sex Games to Spice Up Date Night With
Game night, but make it hot.
By The Editors
COVID Forced My Polyamorous Marriage to Become Monogamous
For Melanie LaForce, pandemic-induced social distancing guidelines meant she could no longer see men outside of her marriage. But monogamy didn't just change her relationship with her husband—it changed her relationship with herself.
By Melanie LaForce
100 Sex Songs That Won't Make You Cringe
Dim the lights and hit play on this sex songs — the perfect playlist of songs to have sex to.
By The Editors
75 Movie Sex Scenes That Are 100 Percent Real
These actors aren't faking anything.
By Mehera Bonner
How the pandemic has mutated our most personal disunions.
By Gretchen Voss
33 Unexpected Valentine's Day 2022 Date Ideas
A.k.a. not dinner and roses.
By The Editors
The All-Time Favorite Sex Positions of 11 Real Women
"It makes me feel like the sexiest woman on earth."
By The Editors